That’s terrible sounding and I’m compelled to explain that I have no regrets that I’ve had my children. My children are beautiful, smart, and funny. I can’t imagine my life without them. My daughter is a really smart daddy’s girl. As much as she gives us trouble, I know it’s just in her nature to be strong-willed. My son is another force to be reckoned with. I swear they’re going to have amazing tenacity and very successful individuals in whatever they choose to pursue in life.
Sometimes, though, I think about life before them, and there are things I miss.
Top 10 Things I Miss About Life Before Kids:
1) I could finish a cup of coffee before it got cold. (This probably does fit in first place on this list)
2) When I woke up in the morning, I didn’t have to rush to someone’s aid… there’s no snooze button on a screaming kid “Help! Mommy! Mommy!”
3) Not lugging around a diaper bag that weighs more than one of the kids, killing my shoulders in the process.
4) I didn’t have to plan around nap times. (Although occasionally taking one myself is nice.)
5) Not having to share my food. I love food and I don’t necessary like sharing it.
6) Not having to sneak snacks. If I felt like indulging, I didn’t have to worry about whether or not someone else was supposed to have it.
7) Driving a small manual-shift car everywhere. Now, I’m limited one day a month driving in my Autocross hobby.
8) I felt healthier (and smarter) – my issues seem never ending since having a baby.
9) Dinner conversations weren’t full of convincing someone to eat dinner so they could have dessert. And eating M&Ms for dinner was acceptable.
10) If I wanted something for me, I just got it. Now I think “… but I should probably spend money on x for them”.
Remember, I don’t regret having my children. I couldn’t imagine my life without them anymore, but there are moments that I do miss the ease of not being needed. At times, the reality that I took all those kid-free years for granted really hits me. I didn’t just enjoy them.
When they get too big for needing mommy, and I get those freedoms back, I’m going to miss my babies. I imagine I’ll have to write a top 10 list of things I miss about having little ones.
What do you miss about life before kids?